Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The First of Many


It seems only fitting to start our first post with a review of the food at the "House of Miller" aka...our house.

Well tonight we had "Zucchini Cheese Pancakes" and there were mixed reviews. The older kids and I loved them and the three littlest boys did not! But they don't like anything to do with vegetables and they think pancakes can only be called "Pancakes" if they have syrup and whip cream on them (not sour cream.) So I don't think their opinion should count in this instance, unless you have the same gastronomical requirements as they.

The recipe is my Aunt Dea's and our middle kids first had them and raved about them last year when we were in the Philippines visiting my Mom & Dad and my Aunt & Uncle. My Aunt's maid made them for the kids and they were a hit (older kids that is not the three youngest, who had "normal" pancakes with syrup).

Well, I got the recipe a few weeks ago while visiting my Aunt in Denver (yes, they have moved) and thought I would surprise the kids by making them for dinner. Needless to say 6 of us had a great meal and three of us were not so happy about having to finish everything on our plate.

They are really good though and you should give them a try! Here is the recipe:

Zucchini Cheese Pancakes

1-2 Med. unpeeled zucchini
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c. cheese
4TBS flour
1tsp minced onion
2 eggs beaten
oil for frying

Put shredded zucchini with salt in colander and squeeze out liquid.
Mix ingredients together. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto hot oil
(not a lot of oil)and cook until lightly brown on each side.

I X the recipe by 4, for our family and I got about 20, 4inch cakes. The kids that liked them eat 2-3 each and I made the little guys eat one. So, you can figure out the math as to how many you will have to X it by to feed your group. I think the recipe "as is" is meant for two people.

If you are on a flour free diet, as my Aunt and Uncle are, you can substitute 1 TBS coconut flour for the 4TBS regular flour:)

Try it...you'll like it!

The mom Miller

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious to me! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I just bought zucchini. I can't wait to make it and hope at least 1 out of 3 of our kids will like it. I am so glad you are going for it with this blog. It should be a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gals! Wow, people are reading my blog and they aren't related to me! I feel so special:)

    ReplyDelete